4 Aug 2011

Baked Aubergines (Caponata)




This is one of my favourite dishes of all times. It is very easy to make and everybody loves it. I got the recipe from Sérgio, my friend's stepdad, in a very fun day of food, cards and wine, years ago.
I have made this aubergine so many times that I consider it mine now. :)

Ingredients:

1 large onion
8 garlic cloves
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 green pepper
1 cup of raisins
2 medium-sized aubergines
1 cup of olives

"Sauce":
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of vinegar
1 cup of water
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp dried oregano

The amount of each ingredients vary according to taste, obviously. The above are more or less what I usually use. Today, for example, I used two onions, because they were quite small. And a good amount of garlic, which I randomly called "8 garlic cloves" for the sake of giving you a quantity :P
Always remember that you are free to cook however you like. Recipes are for inspiration only, not to restrict you.

How to make it:

Chop everything... and I mean everything! (except the raisins :P) Mix it all and put it in a baking dish. Make the "sauce" by mixing it in a cup and throw it upon the vegetables. Cover it with foil and put it in the oven for about 40 min or until the aubergine is very soft. It smells great, so you need to control yourself and leave it for as long as necessary, so that the aubergine is soft... the longer you wait, the better it tastes :)

Here is a picture of the vegetables in their "sauce" before going inside the oven


Serve it hot or cold with pitta bread or as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment